Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Good Play

For reading today, I read a poem called "A Good Play" by Robert Louis Stevenson. My assignment was to write a fourth stanza to it. Here is the poem. The last TWO stanzas I wrote:

A Good Play

We built a ship upon the stairs
All made of the back-bedroom chairs,
And filled it full of sofa pillows
To go a-sailing on the billows.

We took a saw and several nails,
And water in the nursery pails;
And Tom said, "Let us all take
An apple and a slice of cake";
Which was enough for Tom and me
To go a-sailing on, till tea.

We sailed along for days and days,
And had the very best of plays;
But Tom fell out and hurt his knee,
So there was no one left but me.

I'm eating all of the cake,
then I'll get a steak,
My ship is broken,
I am changing my name to Logan,
My ship is in a wreck,
I'm going to strangle my neck.

I'm on an island,
I'm setting a tent on a highland,
I am catching fish,
I hope I get rich.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there Logan! I really like the twists and turns you worked into the end of this poem. Keep up the great work!

    ~~Martha, one of your mom's friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like your poem, I could tell when you took over for Robert Lewis Stevenson. You write very different, but you are from different times. Great job. I hope you keep writing!

    ReplyDelete